Today, there are many home improvement and repair shows on television and while they're fun to watch, the one downside is that they often make people think that many projects are much easier than they really are! Typically the hosts and helpers of these shows are licensed contractors with years of experience in the industry and they often have more help than you ever see on the television show! So it's not unusual for homeowners to see a show about fence installation and think that they just need to buy those lovely wood planks and the installation will be a snap ? just like it is on the television show! Unfortunately those efforts usually end up with a pile of wood and lots of frustration. This is why it's always best to call in a professional before you even begin your project.
Reasons to hire a professional fence installer include:
- Wood is more difficult to work with than people imagine. Drilling something in improperly can mean splitting the wood and ruining it.
- Wood is more likely to collapse or fall over if not installed properly.
- If your fence is not installed properly you could violate city codes and ordinances and run into hefty fines.
So how to hire a fence installer? Here are some tips:
- Start with referrals from home building supply stores, hardware stores, lumber supply stores, and other contractors in the industry.
- Make sure you check on their licensing and certifications needed to work.
- They should be working with a crew as this is more than any one person can handle!
- Ask about how they comply with the zoning laws in
- Get estimates in writing for the cost and the time it should take.
- Check those references!
Your fence installer will need full access to your yard and cannot and should not have to deal with your children, pets, and so on. You may also need to get building permits beforehand, so make sure this is done if they're needed in